Judo contestants must wear the prescribed Judo uniform with a white or red belt. A contestant who violates the uniform or hazard-prevention rules, and who fails to follow the referee's instruction will be disqualified.
Judo uniform specifications
- [Tunic length]
- When tied with obi, the tunic must cover the hips.
- [Sleeve length]
- The sleeves must extend to the wrist joints (minimum length is 5cm above the wrist joints).
- [Sleeve openings]
- A space of 10 to 15cm between the arm and the sleeve must be maintained for the full length of the sleeve.
- [Chest width]
- The uniform lapels must overlap by 20cm or more at the lower-most part of the chest.
* Women must wear a short-sleeved, round-necked shirt (white) beneath the tunic.
- The pants length must not extend below the ankle joints, and must be no shorter than 5cm above the ankle joints.
- [Leg openings]
- A space of 10 to 15cm between the leg and the pants leg must be maintained for the full length of the pants leg.
- An obi must be wrapped twice around the waist and tied to keep the tunic from becoming disheveled, and the surplus obi length hanging from the knot must be approximately 20cm.
* Women's black belts must have a white line (1/5 of the belt width) running lengthwise around the center of the belt.
Contestants must keep their fingernails short, and they must wear no metal objects or other hard objects which could pose a hazard to the opponent. Long-haired contestants must tie up their hair so as not to hinder mutual motion.