Glossary of Judo terminology
Judo referee regulations
Judo judging rules are used to judge Judo contests. Current Judo judging rules include the Kodokan rules, the IJF rules, and the Regulations regarding junior age groups, etc. Because the IJF rules are used in international competitions, they are frequently used in competitions within Japan as well.
The Judo judging rules define the following items in detail.
- Contest area
- Judo uniform, and harm prevention (safety)
- Contest start and end, contest Waza, transition to Ne waza (Ground techniques), Match time, contest ending signal, etc.
- Judges configuration, 1st Judge pronouncements, 2nd Judge opinion, judgments, motions used by judges, etc.
- Judgment standards and treatment for Forbidden items and rules violations
- Criterion for "Ippon gachi" (Win by ippon) judgments, etc.